This summer, the unthinkable happened. Writing beauty content for one publication (not Makeup Morsels, obviously) and interning for another did what 3.5+ years of blogging failed to accomplish. I am—would you believe it?—experiencing the symptoms of beauty fatigue. No, not the type you get when you’re actually sick of beauty (I’m a looong way off from that), but sometimes I’d just like to enjoy my free time sans Photoshop and WordPress. Of course, this is hardly a long-term issue. I still find myself refreshing my lipstick as I flip through my leisure reading, so I take that as a sign that my inner beauty addict is alive and well. She just needs a mini vacation, is all.
For those of you who do miss my ramblings on all things pretty, the post de jour happens to be related to beauty, in the way that ponies are related to narwhals (pony, unicorn, narwhal. Do you see?).
Hmm, better shelve this one under ‘food’ instead.
I’ve been curious about this 1-ingredient soft-serve-slash-ice-cream for quite some time now. If you have Internet, you’ve probably seen it already, the promise that frozen bananas thrown into a food processor will yield something akin to magic. Can you blame me for being worried that it would be one of those recipes that looks great on paper but ends with me crying on the kitchen floor, eating Nutella straight out of the jar?
I first tried the recipe à la Top With Cinnamon. It was surprisingly good, but I wanted something richer, closer to the flavor of actual soft serve. After a few tweaks, I got something that was probably twice the caloric content (at least) of the original recipe, but so delicious I just had to share. The flavor of banana is far too strong for this to ever pass for real ice cream, but it’s a delicious summer treat that’s reasonably healthy. Well, was reasonably healthy until I got my hands on it.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Banana Soft Serve, verrryyy loosely adapted from Top With Cinnamon
*ok, I actually have no idea about the measurements because I just started throwing things in there. But based on my extremely scientific process of eyeballing the quantities…in my memory, this is what I got.
- 3-4 bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Nutella
- 3 graham crackers, broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pour frozen banana slices into food processor along with baking soda, pulsing until you have something resembling the consistency of soft serve (see photo above).
- Add yogurt, cocoa powder, and Nutella, pulsing until incorporated.
- Add graham cracker pieces and chocolate chips. Be careful not to over-process, so you still get some texture in your soft serve.
- Pour contents into bowl or Tupperware, cover with parchment paper, and freeze for 1 hour. If you want something more like ice cream, freeze 4+ hours.
- Enjoy your wholesome(ish) treat!
Yields ~3 servings.