The larger my makeup addiction grows, the more I appreciate my neutrals. In particular, taupes.
Taupes are the bread and butter of your eyeshadow collection (or they should be). I was originally going to swatch all the taupes in my eyeshadow collection, but I realized that would have taken way too long. So instead, I picked 9 of my favorites (no dupes here! be proud of me)
left from top to bottom:
1. First off, we have the beautiful, shimmery taupe from my Dior Mist quint (swatches and backstory here). This one is definitely more brown-leaning. It’s also very pigmented, yet smooth and blendable. Dior has got their formula down pat.
2. This is the second most-used taupe in my collection. Can you guess what it is? For some reason, my camera isn’t really picking up the grey tones in Shu Uemura ME Brown (the ME stands for Metallic). It’s a super gorgeous color, essentially the perfect taupe with the perfect texture. I couldn’t ask for more. See it in action here.
3. And now we come to the most used taupe in my entire makeup collection. This shadow is the lid color from my Maybelline Chai Latte quad. It’s not a unique color, nor is it take-my-breath-away-beautiful, but it takes zero brainpower to use. I can pop this color into my crease for any EOTD, and it works. Bonus points because it’s matte.
middle from top to bottom:
1. A beautiful (albeit with glitter chunks) purply-taupe from my Jill Stuart Mysterious Queen quad. The color is very nice and smooth, but unfortunately hard to blend. It’s very well-behaved when patted on the lid, though. See more pictures here.
2. Urban Decay Underground from their Deluxe Shadow palette is the most golden brown-leaning taupe in my collection. It makes a pretty lid wash, and the texture is smooth. Maybe not butter smooth, but smooth enough. More pictures here.
3. Estee Lauder Smokey is a little more berry toned in real life than it appears right here. This is definitely a very unique taupe, the pigmentation isn’t super great, but it’s not sheer either. The color alone makes up for any formula mishaps.
right from top to bottom:
1. Lancome Taupe Lustre was my old Maybelline Chai Latte lid color before I bought the MCL quad. The only reason I’ve switched over to the Maybelline shadow now is because it’s more versatile (since it’s matte). The Lancome eyeshadow is a very quiet color though, which makes it perfect for working into the crease for softer eye looks. See it in action here.
2 and 3. The last 2 shadows are new additions to my taupe family. The first one is NYX Eucalyptus, and the second is NYX Dune. Both have the characteristic NYX pigmentation/blendability. I bought these because the colors reminded me of Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows in Birthday Suit and Skinny Jeans.
Let me know which one of my taupes you like best in the comments 😀
Alright, now you’ve seen my taupes. I want to see yours. I’m tagging all of you to either tell me your favorite taupes, or do a post on them if you’d like.