This is my last official month on the beauty ban, which is exciting! Yes? Exciting! I’ve decided to continue doing empties/monthly purchase posts with looser guidelines from this point forward, but more on that at the end of the post.
Because this blog gives me the perfect excuse to talk about my life, here’s a quick recap of my day. I no longer know where I’m going to live next year, and I haven’t washed my hair in 5 days (or has it been 6?) because I keep forgetting to buy shampoo. Finesse Clean+Simple seems to have poofed off every drugstore in sight,
and I’m convinced that there is no such thing as silicone and sulfate free at the drugstore anymore. and I just realized right now that I forgot about Trader Joe’s. Write it down MM, write it down.
Anyways I finally caved today, chose the lesser of two evils, and bought some Garnier 2in1, which does contain sulfate but is completely dimethicone free.
Now for the empties, I basically broke every rule of product photography shooting these, such as 1) never shoot products that are empty and look like they’ve been rescued from a dumpster and 2) at least try to make the product look good. But since I am a train wreck with rather unfortunate hair (although I have done a decent job faking it with Phyto 7 Botanical Hydrating Balm on the ends and loads of dry shampoo on my roots), I figure you can cut me some slack this one time.
- Opti-Free Replenish Saline Solution: such a ripoff. Not buying this anymore
- Vickery & Clarke Ginger & Clementine Body Wash: decent, not much to say here
- Aveeno Skin Relief Body Wash: not a fan, leaves a residue on my skin and doesn’t cleanse all that well
- Finesse Clean+Simple Shampoo for Normal Hair
- MBD Sheet Masks: Earl Grey Tea & Macaron, Southern France Apricot. Should review these soon (not included in tally)
- Trind Hand Repair
- Dermelect Alpine Rose Stem Cell Serum
- DHC Deep Cleansing Oil
- L’occitane Hand Cream
- Shiseido Therapino Oil Balm: HG, why have I never reviewed this?
- 2 tealights (not included in tally)
- Rembrandt Intense Stain Removal Toothpaste: I like this, but it didn’t make as big of a difference as my current whitening products do. Will not repurchase.
I did go over my limit this month, and also broke one of my rules. First, there were the two whitening products I mentioned in this post, which added up to a total of $12. Then I bought a 3 pack of Kirkland brand saline solution at Costco which…wait for it…$9. For 3 bottles. Opti-Free ran somewhere near $20 for 2 bottles. Does not compute.
Those were supposed to be my 3 items, but while I was at Costco I decided to pick up another 2 pack of Aveeno. I know I’m not supposed to repurchase anything until I run out, but I use it all the time and Costco isn’t exactly my next-door neighbor. That was $10 because I had a coupon, so I went $1 over my $30 limit you don’t count tax, and 1 item over the 3 item restriction. Call it even?
Overall, I’m very happy with how this beauty ban turned out. There’s not point in stopping now when I’m doing well, so I’ll keep going for an indefinite period of time. Here’s the deal though, it’s kind of annoying counting items and adding prices. My new rules are as follows:
1. Same thing applies to any color cosmetics. No buying anything new until I’ve used up 3 of that item (so no beautiful red Kate Moss for Rimmel lipstick until I’ve finished 3 lipsticks. I will probably be buying that sometime around 2017, assuming it’s still available).
2. No buying new staple items until I’m out. If there is some type of BOGOF sale going on, I may buy 2 if I have no more at home.
3. No buying new home fragrance items until I’ve finished up 2 things in that category. 2 wax tarts do not buy me a new 3 wick candle, but they do allow me to buy 1 new wax tart.
4. Lifting the price cap of $30 and the 3 item restriction. I’m most likely to go crazy on color cosmetics and candles, so as long as those bans are in place I should be fine.
5. Keep filling up my Empties bag!
How did you do this month? Are any of you non-ban-ees (that looks like manatees) tempted to go on a beauty ban now? And how many of you are thinking of extending your bans?