If you’ve been reading this blog for any longer than a day, you may have picked up on my red lipstick obsession. And I don’t use that word lightly.
Red lipstick can conjure up scary images. Maybe you think it would be easier to avoid it altogether. But that would be sad. You’d be missing out on a lot. So to prevent sadness over missed red-lip-opportunities, I present to you 6 of my favorite reds. Here’s why you need them now.*
*Or shall I say, why you need something similar now. Because some of these are no longer available. I know, I’m evil. Please don’t throw things.
left to right: Ellis Red L201, Kate Moss for Rimmel Lipstick in 01, Revlon Fire & Ice, Le Metier de Beaute Red Velvet Lip Creme, Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in Cherries in the Glow, Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Cherry Ice
crazy slightly deluded opinion, everyone should have:
- A universally flattering red. I remain firmly convinced that Ellis Red L201* (review and swatches) is the most wearable red you will ever come across in your entire life. For those who want a starter red. Not a gloss, not a berry red. An easy-to-wear, unmistakably red, red.
- A classic red. You know the ones. They could be blue based, red based, or neutral, but they manages to come off as elegant and almost understated while still being red. It boggles the mind. My latest find in this category is Kate Moss for Rimmel 01 (review and swatches).
- A no-holds barred, eye-searingly bright red. Ok, maybe this one shouldn’t be on the list. But if you want to try one, just for fun, head over to your drugstore and pick up a tube of Revlon Fire & Ice (review & swatches, I believe the ‘vintage’ version was LE). Which strangely, looks washed out in that picture. I assure you it’s much, much louder.
- A stunning, killer red. Not to be confused with the retina-searing version mentioned above, this red is bright without being visible from 10 miles away. It garners more attention than your average classic-red, in a classy way of course. Recently, the gorgeous Xiao of Messy Wands sent me a tube of Le Metier de Beaute Red Velvet Lip Creme (LE), and it fits the bill perfectly.
- A red gloss. For the girl who just wants to dip half her toe into the red lipstick pool. Or the girl who needs something red and shiny to top off her red lipstick (guess which one I am). Revlon Cherries in the Glow (swatch) is an old favorite, with its non-sticky texture and light tint of red.
- And finally, something sparkly. Because when you load up a red lipstick with sparkles, magic happens. My favorite festive red is Revlon’s Cherry Ice (review and swatches).
Now it’s your turn. How many reds do sane people usually have? What are some of your favorite reds? Have you tried any of the ones on my list?
Full Disclosure: Items marked with an asterisk (*) were submitted as press samples. For more information, please see my disclaimer.