Is this going to be an actual series? Who knows? I just felt like making a banner.
Moving is hard. I didn’t even do any of the lifting, but somehow ended up with lower back pains from walking around. I think I need to see a chiropractor. But that’s not the point of this post. The point is, especially for those of you heading off to college in the coming weeks, dorm rooms are meant to be customized. You’re living here for the next year, so you want a space that creates happy feelings, am I right?
If you’re a beauty junkie like me, the quickest way to achieve these happy feelings is with the makeup table, also known as the vanity. Now you may think you don’t have the room for one of these, but you are wrong. Use the end of the bed if you must, and sleep curled up into a ball. It’s worth it.
Of course, you could also go the less drastic route, and use your dresser. As far as I know, almost every college room comes with one of these. It might be tucked under your bed or hiding in your closet, but no matter. Pull that thing out, even if it takes up the last bit of standing space on your side, and go to town. Here’s what mine looks like, and here are the six simple steps I took to transform it:
1. Find a space for your dresser. Mine is located at the foot of my bed.
2. Get an ottoman or footstool. This will serve as your chair, because who wants to do their makeup standing up? Too much effort. I’m using this one from Target.
3. Cover the dresser with a white towel. This will catch any makeup residue, and also give the (flimsy) illusion that this is a fancy dresser.
4. Get a box for your makeup, so as not to waste valuable drawer real estate. I’m using the 5 drawer acrylic cube from MUJI.
5. Get thee to your nearest office supplies stores, and buy a rotating desk organizer. This is perfect for storing brushes and various odds and ends. I suppose you could also use a cups or candle jars if you wanted. Add any other decorations you might want.
6. Plop a mirror in the center so you can stare at yourself all the livelong day. And you’re finished! Enjoy your new vanity. Soak up the happy feelings.
Oh, and don’t forget, you’re also supposed to be there to learn. And meet new people.
How do you store your makeup. If you’re a fellow college student, what does your dorm room look like? Have you made space for a vanity?