This week has featured a lot of sitting around and gazing morosely at my bed as I type and type and then type some more. There’s been the slightest bit of studying and frantic textbook scanning in there too, but it’s mostly typing. So you may understand why I’ve been a little keyboard-shy in my spare time. I’m back today though, and finally finished editing the truckload of pictures I took for this review, most of which will never see the light of day. Ah, the life of a beauty blogger.
My fondness for blue eye makeup has steadily grown over the course of the year, and when this box of 24/7 Glide-On Penciles from Urban Decay landed in my mailbox last month, I was hoping they’d be as beautiful in person as they look online. While there always seems to be some debate on whether these are worth the hype or not, they remain my go-to for colorful pencil liners. They make a nice dash of bright color on the lower lashline, but look equally cool layered over a crisp cat eye. They also make fantastic (and long-wearing) cream shadows when the mood strikes, which is how I’ve been wearing them lately. Readers who remember this blog in its baby days may have read my previous review of the formula, which (and I can’t believe I’m doing this because yikes and many cringes for the pictures) I’ll link here. I stand by much of what I said in that previous review, namely that Urban Decay is particularly good when it comes to shades you won’t usually see at the drugstore. The only thing that’s changed is my opinion on pricing; I honestly can’t say the $19 price tag freaks me out anymore, and keep in mind it was $17 at the time of my original review when I was all egads! It costs a fortune. Probably not a good thing…
Some of the blues shown below are brand-new shades, while others are ‘revamped’ or previously exclusive. I’m going to go through them one by one, so prepare yourself for an onslaught of blue. Are you ready?
From left to right:
- Sabbath, deep navy matte: The texture on this one is particularly good. The 24/7 liners are known for being creamy like the best hummus you’ve ever had (just worked out and my dinner was oatmeal, so of course I’m thinking about food), but this is by far the smoothest liner I’ve ever used from the brand. The pigmentation is deep and even, and the finish is is so slick it’s borderline satin.
- LSD, navy shimmer with bright turquoise micro-sparkle: My favorite of all the ones I tried. Isn’t it mesmerizing, with those electric blue sparkles against that navy base? I like to wear this one blended out on my lids like a cream shadow (see below).
- Junkie, metallic teal shimmer with gold microsparkle: A mermaid-like liner if I ever saw one. I love these types of shades from spring and summer, especially with a bronzy gold eye.
- Loaded, dark green shimmer: Although Urban Decay describes this shade as a shimmer, it looks more like a cream finish to me. Good formula on this one, but it’s not really my color.
wearing LSD on the lid and lower lashline
From left to right:
- Abyss, bright metallic blue shimmer with blue micro-sparkle: These swatches were done after I removed the first set of liners, and I’m afraid the colors are a bit faded. Abyss is much brighter than it’s showing up, as you can see in Temptalia’s swatch here. A vibrant, mid-tone blue.
- Deep End, bright metallic peacock shimmer: This is lighter and brighter than Junkie, with a blueish metallic overlay.
- Chaos, vibrant cobalt blue matte with slight floating pearl: I’m not even going to ask what ‘slight floating pearl’ means, but this looks entirely matte to my eyes (the shimmers are from the previous shades, I need to get better at this swatching business). It’s entirely unique to my stash, almost like a biro-pen blue. A close second favorite.
from left to right: Sabbath, LSD, Junkie, Loaded, Abyss, Deep End, Chaos
If you’re a pencil-wearer, make sure you give these a look. They may not be the best of the best, but the incredible shade range and solid formula make them an easy choice. My personal recommendations are LSD, Sabbath, Chaos, and Junkie.
How do you wear colored liners? Which of these is your favorite? Let’s chat.
Full Disclosure: The products featured in this post were provided for my editorial consideration and honest review. For more information, please see my disclaimer.