Friday afternoon, I was gearing up to blog when the Internet went out. If you’re lucky enough to have never experienced this before, let me assure you that it’s a highly unpleasant moment. Think sitting in the dentist’s chair, happy because you’re done with your teeth cleaning, when suddenly he announces that he must pull a tooth or extract a cavity.
Filled with confusion and despair, I accidentally voiced my thoughts aloud. “WHAT JUST HAPPENED?” I shrieked, temporarily forgetting the presence of my neighbors.
By the time I woke up this morning, I couldn’t even look at my laptop any more. So I went shopping and managed to make off with quite a few sale items—if you’re interested in seeing my purchases, let me know in the comments below—in what was probably the least constructive way to deal with things ever. Of course, as soon as I returned, everything was up and running again.
To celebrate, I bring you stage 2 of my banana soft serve adventures: the banana ice cream pie. If you weren’t quite satisfied with my previous attempts at turning a wholesome recipe into a mountain of calories and sugar, let’s try this thing again.
But in all seriousness, this is still healthier than ice cream pie. Just keep that in mind…
I started with a frozen pie crust (which I baked, duh), smothered it in Nutella and banana froyo, then topped the whole thing with a cinnamon graham cracker crumble. Oh my god, this is so amazing. My dad ate half the pie by himself. You could, of course, leave out the crust for a marginally healthier option, or make your own if you’re into that. You could also leave out everything except the banana filling if you’re really into healthy eating, but where’s the fun in that?
Let me whip out my phone before I demolish you.
Banana Ice Cream Pie
- 3-4 bananas, sliced into coins and frozen
- 1/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt, I used Fage 0%
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 6 graham crackers
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- pie crust (make your own or defrost a frozen one & bake, I like the ones from Trader Joe’s)
- Once your pie crust has cooled, take your Nutella and spread a thin layer over the base.
- Break graham crackers into pieces, pulsing until you get crumbs in a food processor.
- In a separate bowl, melt your butter. Combine with graham cracker crumbs and cinnamon.
- Combine bananas and yogurt in the food processor, pulsing until you have a smooth consistency. Pour over Nutella.
- Spread the graham cracker crumble over the banana soft serve.
- Cover with saran wrap and freeze 4-5 hours. Proceed to make the pie shrink over the next week or so.
What’s your favorite summer dessert?