Open my beauty bag on any day, and you’re guaranteed to see at least two open sticks (plus the requisite pot, tub, or tube) of lip balm. I love the stuff. Even people who don’t wear makeup—I am not one of these people, obviously—can appreciate the wonders of a good balm. I usually gravitate toward the prettily scented versions (anything rose is bound to find its way into my shopping cart sooner or later) and not-so-secretly covet the one delicately overlaid with gold leaf (Tatcha, if you’re curious), but my favorite? It’s only $5. Christmas miracle, I know.
So let’s count it off, 5 reasons why you need this $5 tube of goodness immediately:
1. It’s all natural. Each Lip BAR is handmade by BAR founder Dean Harrison, and contains a refreshingly short list of ingredients: organic cocoa butter, beeswax, virgin coconut oil, virgin avocado oil, and vitamin E (plus the essential oils that give each bar its unique scent). Dean’s shop also stocks a well-edited selection of $10 bar soaps. I tried the purple version billed as “relaxing, rejuvenating,” and it vanished from my shower within a month.
2. It’s truly healing. Some balms merely seal in moisture for a few hours, but the good ones? You can feel them going to work on your lips, soothing chapped skin and smoothing over rough bits. This is one of the good ones. I love when it gets the slightest bit melted in the summer and glides on like butter, but it’s equally effective when it firms up come fall.
3. It smells divine. I’m not a huge fan of gourmand balms which is why Dean’s Raw Cocoa and Cocoa Mint balms are currently working their magic in other beauty bags. The Orange Blossom, on the other hand, smells gorgeous. It’s a blend of orange and ylang ylang essential oils, and I’m dying for him to make a bar soap out of this so I can slather it all over myself when I shower. (P.S. I have it on good authority that there’s an orange clove balm in the works).
4. It’s functional. Ok I’ll be honest, I can be hopelessly shallow when it comes to packaging. But there’s something about these utilitarian black tubes, printed over with simple paper and the cleanest logo, that just speaks to my inner minimalist—who knew she even existed?
5. It’s 5 DOLLARS. $5 for the holy grail of my current balm rotation, equally effective throughout the day as it is right before bed. Get yours now.
Full disclosure: This post contains press samples. For more information on my review policy, please refer to my disclaimer.
Product image courtesy of BAR.