Everyone, feast your eyes on Dylan Penn up there. Do you see that skin? It’s flawless. It’s what all skincare junkies aim for each time they fork over cash for a new product. I don’t care how good your foundation is, even the best foundation in the world can’t fake skin that good. At least not one I know of (if you know of one, I’m demanding the secret right now).
This particular look—”sun-kissed ’70’s California Classic”—is from the DVF 40th Anniversary Party, and I’m loving it, heavily applied blush (but see how it’s deliberate and heavy in a very chic contour-y way?) and all.
“The colors in the dress steered me toward a bronzed, sun-kissed, classic ‘70s California girl look with a smokey-bronzed eye and a soft lip.” says celebrity makeup artist Nyrie. You can get the full tutorial below, but first, let’s talk skincare—because it’s all Avène.
Those of you new to the blog might not know this, but I am full-on Avène obsessed. Exhibit A: it was my gateway brand to truly good skincare, and back when CVS used to stock them, my mom and I would go raid the shelves together. Exhibit B: I’m under the weather, as they say (personally I think under the crushing mountain of misery that is being sick is more accurate), and have been liberally spritzing myself with Avène’s Thermal Spring Water. Whether it’s the comforting knowledge that I’m covering my face with kisses from Sainte-Odile spring or the cooling effect of the water, I feel so much happier every time I pull out the bottle.
And Exhibit C: the products Nyrie used on Dylan Penn. She started off with Avène Extremely Gentle Cleanser Lotion, then hydrated Penn’s skin using Avène Thermal Spring Water, gently patting it into her skin for optimal hydration. She followed up with Avène Hydrance Optimale Light Hydrating Cream, “which is the best prep for make-up application. It hydrates perfectly and also absorbs fully so there is no greasy residue afterwards.” Last touches? Avène Soothing Eye Contour Cream under the eyes and Avène Cold Cream Lip Cream to prep for lipstick. Bam. Perfect skin.
Get the full makeup tutorial below, and tell me: have you tried Avène?
Nyrie for Artmix Beauty:
- I started with the eyes this time as they were this evening’s focal point. I primed the lids with LAURA MERCIER Eye Basics in Flax, then applied JOUER Powder Eyeshadow in Maple all over as base. I then swept NARS Single Eye Shadow in Fez in the crease of the lid and underneath the bottom lash line for a metallic smokey-bronzed look. To intensify bronze, I layered on LAURA MERCIER Metallic Crème Eye Colour in Burnished Copper on the top lid, close to the lash line. To finish, I lined the eyes with TARTE Skinny SmolderEYES™ Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner in Sunstone Bronze, smudging the liner on the top lid and lining the inner rim for additional depth. Last, I coated her top and bottom lashes with TARTE Lights, Camera, Lashes! mascara.
- To create a perfectly finished and soft velvet look to the skin, I applied GIORGIO ARMANI Luminous Silk Foundation, then used FRESH Umbrian Clay Absoulte Concealer where needed and a light dab of YVES SAINT LAURENT TOUCHE ÉCLAT Radiant Touch under the eyes.
- To create the ‘70s California bronzed skin, I used JOUER Mineral Powder Bronzer in Suntan. It’s the perfect matte bronzer that looks great on everyone.
- I then topped her cheeks off with JOUER Mineral Powder Blush in Peach Bouquet, an all-flattering peachy-pink shade.
- Next, I gave her a slightly defined brow using JOUER Brow Definer in Cendré.
- To keep her lips neutral and ‘70s-inspired, after applying AVÈNE Cold Cream Lip Cream, we chose JOUER Moisturizing Lip Gloss in Cherish, a sparkling gold-peach color.
- One final dusting of TARTE Smooth Operator™ Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder and Dylan was ready to hit the red carpet showing off her California girl glow!
Image courtesy of PR.